Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Jean-Baptiste Rautureau

Went to the Jean-Baptiste Rautureau store in the Marais quartier in Paris last week and bought a pair of boots and a pair of shoes.

These are not my first Rautureau shoes. I bought a pair some 8-9 years ago in the Amsterdam store they had (now closed). As a bit of a shoe-fetisjist I am the proud owner of quite a few nice pairs of shoes. My cupboard holds among others a pair of custom-made Crockett& Jones jodhpurs, Church brogues, Greve wingtips, etc. (you get the idea)

Rautureau stands out, though. The original pair I bought I have worn lots, and they're still good as new. The quality of Rautureau is just outstanding. I understand Rautureau makes his shoes in a little self-owned factory outside Paris. I have never seen any shoes get even close to this level of quality. I am still on the first soles! and the leather is just outlandishly good. And remarkably affordable. A pair of shoes or boots will cost in the range of 200-300 euro.

Some of the styling is very avantgarde, other is more in line with current fashion, such as the boot I bought:

He also offers some relatively basic styles, such as the Richelieu (below) which I also bought.

Very warmly recommended. One of the most well-kept secrets in footwear-land. A gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment